2/17/2014 2:30 P.M. ET
Florimon out until March after appendectomy
By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Twins shortstop Pedro Florimon was scheduled to have laparoscopic surgery to have his appendix removed on Monday afternoon after suffering from appendicitis late Sunday night. Florimon is expected to miss at least two weeks.
Florimon woke up to discomfort in his right side in the middle of the night and was taken to the hospital, where it was determined he was dealing with appendicitis. Florimon's appendix did not burst, however, which allowed for laparoscopic surgery and reduced his recovery time. If Florimon had emergency surgery, he would have been out six to eight weeks, according to Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony.
"We'll see how that goes, but it sounds like it's going to be [laparoscopic], so hopefully he'll only be a couple weeks before he's back doing some things," Antony said. "It wasn't ruptured or anything, but it was inflamed so they're going to remove it."
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said that he expects Florimon to miss the start of Grapefruit League play, but that he'll be the starting shortstop come Opening Day. Veteran Jason Bartlett, who hasn't played since May 2012, was brought in to compete for a utility role, instead of to compete with Florimon.
"[Florimon's] our shortstop," Gardenhire said. "Bartlett is here to try and make the club, but Florimon is our shortstop."
Slimmer Worley looks for different outcome in '14
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Vance Worley is determined to prove that the 2013 season was a fluke.
Worley, who had a solid 3.50 ERA in three seasons with the Phillies, was the Opening Day starter for the Twins in '13, but ended up posting a 7.21 ERA in 10 starts before being optioned to Triple-A Rochester in May.
He finished his season with a shoulder injury sustained in the Minor Leagues, and made it a point to come to Spring Training healthier than ever, as he lost 25 pounds during the offseason.
"Just from playing catch and throwing off a mound before heading to camp this year, I know I'm a lot better than what everybody saw last year," Worley said. "I try not to remember any of it."
Worley said he changed his throwing program this offseason, as he used to throw nearly the entire offseason to keep his arm loose, but waited to throw until mid-December this year. But he still threw a few bullpen sessions before heading to camp, and threw his first official bullpen session with the Twins on Monday with no problems.
Twins hold first official workouts on Monday
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The first day of official workouts for pitchers and catchers kicked off Monday with 15 pitchers throwing bullpen sessions with the other 13 healthy pitchers in camp slated to throw on Tuesday.
The day started with a meeting with the eight catchers in camp at 8:30 a.m. ET, to go over signs before a meeting with the pitchers was held at 9 a.m. The pitchers were then broken up into six groups, with three groups throwing under the watch of pitching coach Rick Anderson. The other three groups played catch and worked on pitchers fielding practice drills.
Several notable Twins pitchers threw their first official bullpen sessions of the spring on Monday, including Ricky Nolasco, Phil Hughes, Matt Guerrier, Jared Burton, Alex Meyer, Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Samuel Deduno, Ryan Pressly, Casey Fien and Caleb Thielbar.
Only Guerrier was held back, as the non-roster invitee is still only throwing fastballs after undergoing surgery in mid-August to repair the flexor mass in his right elbow.
"He's throwing all fastballs right now and is going to be on a little bit of a [throwing] program," said Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony. "He won't appear in any games probably for the first week or week and a half. But he should be fine. His arm strength is fine, but he's just throwing fastballs and will likely mix in breaking balls this week."
Of the 29 pitchers in camp, only left-hander Edgar Ibarra isn't ready to throw off a mound, as he was diagnosed with Hepatitis B two weeks ago, and is expected to take it easy at the start of camp. Ibarra rested for two weeks before camp and missed his scheduled bullpen session on Monday. But the disease is not contagious and Ibarra is already playing catch in hopes of pitching soon.
• Third baseman Miguel Sano, who was diagnosed with a strained ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow this offseason, is healthy and has no restrictions, Antony said. Sano, ranked as the No. 4 overall prospect by MLB.com, will still be monitored closely this spring, but has been playing catch up to 150 feet without any issues.
• Outfielder Chris Parmelee, who had a ganglion cyst removed from his right wrist in January, arrived at camp early and said his wrist is feeling good. Parmelee said he's already swinging the bat in the cages with no issues.
• Even though position players aren't required to report until Friday, several players were at the complex early on Monday, including Joe Mauer, who is making the move from catcher to first base. Mauer took batting practice on one of the main fields on Monday. Other position players who worked out on Monday included third baseman Trevor Plouffe, second baseman Brian Dozier and infielder Jason Bartlett.