8/14/2013 3:00 P.M. ET
Twins hoping Doumit will come off DL this week
By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com
MINNEAPOLIS -- Catcher Ryan Doumit, who was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list on Friday, could be activated as soon as Thursday, according to Twins general manager Terry Ryan.
Doumit, who initially suffered the concussion when he took a foul tip off his facemask on Aug. 4, is eligible to come off the DL on Thursday, as the move was retroactive to Aug. 8.
He was scheduled to undergo an ImPACT concussion test on Wednesday afternoon, and depending on the results, he could be reinstated on Thursday or Friday. The Twins, however, will have to submit the paperwork to Major League Baseball for Doumit to be officially cleared.
"He's making progress," Ryan said. "I don't know if it'll be tomorrow or the next day, but it'll be soon."
Gardy: Deduno may be dealing with fatigue
MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he believes that fatigue is one reason for right-hander Samuel Deduno's recent struggles.
After posting a 3.17 ERA through his first 13 starts, Deduno has allowed nine runs (eight earned) on 17 hits and three walks over his last two outings (11 2/3 innings), including Tuesday's 5-2 loss to the Indians.
"I think he's starting to get up there in innings, and in August, arms start to get a little more tired," Gardenhire said. "It looks like he's out there, and he has to force it a little bit more and is working a little bit harder out there. Guys go through dead arms, and maybe he's there right now."
Deduno's velocity, however, has held steady, as his fastball averaged 90.4-mph on Tuesday, which is in line with his average fastball velocity of 90.2-mph this season, according to FanGraphs.com.
But Gardenhire said he's noticed a decline in Deduno's command, as he's had trouble locating his fastball in recent starts.
"[Tuesday], he was bouncing balls and threw some fastballs way out of the zone," Gardenhire said. "So it looks to me [like] he's a little dead-armed or a little tired. But if you ask him, he'll never admit it."
Morneau reportedly clears waivers
MINNEAPOLIS -- Justin Morneau, who was reportedly placed on revocable waivers on Monday, was in the lineup for the Twins at first base on Wednesday against the Indians.
The waiver deadline for Morneau expired at noon CT on Wednesday, and the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that he cleared waivers.
Twins general manager Terry Ryan refused to comment on the situation, as the waivers process is confidential. The other 29 teams had a chance to claim Morneau, going in reverse order of the current standings, but none chose to put in a claim.
Morneau, who is making $14 million this season in the last year of his six-year, $80 million contract, is now free to be traded to any team this season. Morneau is set to earn roughly $3.6 million for the rest of the year, but must be traded by the end of August to be eligible to play in the postseason. The Yankees, Rays, Orioles and Red Sox are among teams that expressed interest in Morneau before the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.
"At this level, most of us have been through this," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said about the waivers process. "It's not easy. I try to keep it lighthearted around [here]. 'You still here?' That's the first thing I said to Morneau this morning. But we all know it's not easy for him or anyone involved."