05/06/2013 6:57 PM ET
Diamond excited to make his Fenway debut
By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com
BOSTON -- With 38 career big league starts under his belt, Scott Diamond has started at 12 different parks but has yet to pitch at Fenway Park. But that'll change Tuesday night, as he's slated to take the mound against the Red Sox.
Diamond said he's excited for that opportunity given the history associated with the ballpark and was disappointed he didn't get that chance last year, when the Twins took three out of four there and he was the odd man out, having started the day before the series.
"I think it's going to be a pretty cool atmosphere," Diamond said. "Just pitching here at night, I'm not sure how that's going to be. I have memories of our series here last year and it was a pretty good one. I remember watching Cole [De Vries] and Sam [Deduno] pitch here last year and I missed out. So I'm pretty eager to get out there."
Diamond, who had surgery to remove a bone chip from his left elbow in December, said he's feeling better and better each time out. He's tossed three straight quality starts since struggling in his first start on April 13 against the Mets and has a 3.97 ERA with 13 strikeouts and three walks in 22 2/3 innings.
"Physically, I definitely feel like everything is starting to come around," Diamond said. "Even today just throwing, I felt like my mechanics were really in sync. And the big thing now is when something is out of sync, I'm able to make a quick adjustment off it."
Ex-Boston prospect Pressly makes it to Fenway
BOSTON -- When Ryan Pressly was a prospect in Boston's organization, he always pictured himself taking the mound for the Red Sox at Fenway Park someday.
It wasn't to be, however, as Pressly departed the organization this offseason when he was selected by the Twins in December's Rule 5 Draft.
But Pressly made it to Fenway Park after all, as he found himself in the visitors' clubhouse before Monday's opener of a four-game series against the Red Sox.
"I've been waiting a long time to play here," Pressly said. "Ever since I got signed by the Red Sox, I've always wanted to play at Fenway. And now I'm getting that opportunity. But I never thought I'd be a guest here. But I'm here now and that's all that matters."
Pressly, 24, said it's strange being on the visitors' side, but added he was excited to see his former Minor League teammates such as Will Middlebrooks and Alex Wilson.
He's off to an impressive start -- he has a 2.31 ERA with eight strikeouts in 11 2/3 innings despite making the jump from Double-A -- and said he's happy with the way things have turned out.
"It's gone really well," said Pressly, who must remain on the active roster all season or be offered back to the Red Sox. "I'm just taking it day by day. I'm still learning everything and putting all my trust in Joe [Mauer] and [Ryan] Doumit. I'm just having fun."
De Vries' second rehab start set for Friday
BOSTON -- Right-hander Cole De Vries made his first rehab start with Class A Advanced Fort Myers on Sunday and will make his next start with Double-A New Britain on Friday.
De Vries, on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 30 with a right forearm strain, tossed four innings for the Miracle, giving up two runs (one earned) on six hits. He also struck out two and walked none.
"He came through all right," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said. "He got to about 50 pitches or so. So he'll pitch May 10 for New Britain at home and we'll see how he does. We'll stretch him out again."
Ryan said he's not sure how many more rehab starts De Vries will need before he's ready to return, but wants to see him hit the 100-pitch mark first. And more importantly, he wants to see De Vries pitch effectively before they activate him from the DL.
"I don't know yet," Ryan said. "I'm more concerned about him being sharp. Just getting there [to 100 pitches] doesn't do anybody any good."