MINNEAPOLIS -- Casey Janssen has been temporarily shut down because of a strain in his lower back and abdominal muscle.
Toronto's closer was sent on a rehab assignment with Class A Advanced Dunedin earlier this week, but he made just one appearance before he was instructed to take at least a few more days off.
Janssen has been dealing with the injury since the end of Spring Training, and his status for the rest of April appears to be very much in doubt as the tightness continues to linger.
"It's just not right; it's not like it's a lot worse, but he doesn't feel quite comfortable yet to start cutting it loose," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "He's going to take a few days off, from what I understand. ... I don't think he went backwards, but it's not completely out of there to where he feels comfortable."
Right-hander Sergio Santos will continue to receive most of the save opportunities during Janssen's absence. Santos entered play on Thursday with four saves on the season, and left-hander Brett Cecil converted his only opportunity.
The news isn't all bad on the injury front for Toronto, as shortstop Jose Reyes still plans to rejoin the ballclub in Cleveland. Reyes was originally expected to be activated for Friday's game against the Indians, but the Blue Jays will instead wait another day.
Reyes remained at the club's Minor League complex in Florida on Thursday, and he will go through a light workout on Friday before traveling to Cleveland later that night.
"We heard the weather is supposed to be [bad] Friday night, so the plan as of right now is to bring him back hopefully for Saturday's game instead of tomorrow," Gibbons said. "That way, you won't have a night game and then a day game, and you [won't] have to play him two games in 24 hours."
Reyes has been out since he suffered a strained hamstring during his first at-bat of the season. The Blue Jays will likely option either Munenori Kawasaki or Jonathan Diaz to the Minor Leagues upon his return.
Toronto taking wait-and-see approach with Lind
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Blue Jays are taking a wait-and-see approach with Adam Lind as they continue to hope the veteran designated hitter will be able to avoid the disabled list.
Lind suffered a lower back injury on Tuesday and was in noticeable discomfort after the game in Minnesota. He didn't look much better two days later and was still walking around rather gingerly, without much flexibility in his upper half.
Toronto's plan is to wait at least another day before making a decision on whether a roster move is needed, but Lind certainly didn't sound overly confident about avoiding the DL.
"We're just going to do what we can to get me on the field as soon as we can," Lind said when asked about the possibility of a DL stint.
"I'm functional, so hopefully I'll have good treatment all day today and hopefully by the weekend, I'll be able to play."
If Lind does require a stint on the DL, then the Blue Jays would likely promote either Dan Johnson or Juan Francisco from Triple-A Buffalo. The DH would then turn into somewhat of a platoon, with one of those players in the mix along with the likes of Dioner Navarro and Colby Rasmus.
Rasmus got the start at DH for Game 1 on Thursday afternoon as he made his return from a left hamstring injury. Rasmus had been out since Sunday, and while the Blue Jays wanted to avoid using him in the field on a cold day in Minnesota, he was made available to hit.
"You really don't want to throw him on the field with these conditions, but we're going to DH him," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "We'll see how that goes, but he should be fine. ... He could play the outfield today if it was a normal day, but we have to be cautious."
Toronto announces 'Connect with the Jays' nights
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Blue Jays have announced plans to host two "Connect with the Jays" nights at Rogers Centre this season in their latest attempt to embrace social media and reach out to the fanbase.
The promotion will include T-shirt giveaways on June 24 and Aug. 5, with the actual design being determined by fans through a social media vote. Three designs have been chosen, and fans are able to vote through Twitter, Facebook and on bluejays.com.
To vote on Twitter, fans can tweet or retweet the hashtags assigned to each shirt, while Facebook votes can be cast by comments on a post regarding the giveaway. Fans can also vote directly on bluejays.com/tshirtvote, and voting will remain open until April 28.
Three designs have been selected and are available for viewing at bluejays.com/tshirtvote. On Twitter, fans can use the hashtag #tshirtvote along with the hashtag of the T-shirt they prefer
The Blue Jays are also asking fans to send any recommendations for what type of content and activities they would like to see on the Connect with the Jays nights. Fans can make suggestions by sending a tweet to @BlueJays and including the hashtag #ConnectJays.
• Outfielder Anthony Gose was recalled from Triple-A Buffalo on Thursday for Game 2 of the doubleheader vs. Minnesota. Per league rules, the Blue Jays were allowed to add a 26th man to the roster for the second game. Gose was expected to be optioned back to the Minor Leagues after the game, but provided the Blue Jays with some additional depth on the field with Colby Rasmus still limited to DH duties because of a strained hamstring.