SAN DIEGO -- Pitching reinforcements will constitute the majority of the Padres' September callups, manager Bud Black said Friday. While a position player, maybe two, will be part of the mix, Black said the primary additions would supplement the pitching staff and most likely have already been on the Major League club.
"It will probably be some guys that you have seen before," Black said. "There might be a guy or two that you haven't seen. We are still sort of working our way through that. There is still a little bit of time left in their season."
Black added that while the club likes to reward players in the organization with the late-season promotion, there were other factors to consider, including clubhouse chemistry.
"From a player's perspective, it sort of validates their performance for the year by coming up," Black said. "It's that fine line that you don't want to bring up too many guys, because it sort of disrupts a little bit of the clubhouse. There will be some pitchers to help our relievers and help our starters. Maybe a position player or two, but a lot of the guys here now are the guys we want to see play."
With over a week to decide which players to add to the roster, Black said the club would take its time making the selections.
Padres not ruling out surgery for Quentin
SAN DIEGO -- Carlos Quentin could be headed for surgery on his injured right knee, Padres General Manager Josh Byrnes and manager Bud Black said Friday. It would be the third knee surgery for Quentin since March 2012. Quentin has not played in a game since July 30.
While surgery is not inevitable, Byrnes said it was an option given that Quentin's knee had not yet recovered enough for him to get back on the field.
"At the very least, surgery is a possibility for Carlos," Byrnes said in an email. "I wouldn't say it is a foregone conclusion. We will see how he responds to the rest/rehab."
Black echoed Byrnes' sentiments regarding Quentin's situation, adding that Quentin would test the knee this weekend, most likely Saturday, before any determination about the 30-year-old outfielder's knee was made.
"He's going to run [Saturday], and then we'll have more of an idea about his status," Black said. "So, Carlos is going to just get some treatment, do his work inside. He is getting his hitting in in the cage; he's done some things there, but as far as running, he'll do that [Saturday]."
The surgery would allow Quentin to recover in the offseason, Black said, clarifying that returning this season was still possible.
"If this thing doesn't progress, the doctors are looking at a procedure that might help him progress over the wintertime," Black said. "I'll know more once he starts to run and whether he can play again. If he can play again, he's going to try to avoid [surgery]."
This would be the second straight offseason in which Quentin had a procedure on the knee. He also had surgery in March last year during Spring Training.
Starting rehab, Blanks could return soon
SAN DIEGO -- Kyle Blanks' timeline to return to the Padres has taken shape, as Blanks is set to begin a Minor League rehab assignment this weekend. Blanks will travel to Class A Lake Elsinore or Triple-A Tucson to test the injury.
Out since July 12 with a left Achilles tendon injury, Blanks was able to run Friday, and he took batting practice prior to the Padres' matchup against the Chicago Cubs. How his heel responds to game action will determine how quickly Blanks is able to return to the big league club. With rosters expanding Sept. 1, Blanks could rejoin the team at that time, manager Bud Black said.
"Whether he comes back Sept. 1 if he has his legs underneath him and he's playing well and feels good physically, there's a chance that when we expand we bring him up," Black said. "Or, we just wait until the end of Minor League season and get him up here. We want him to get as many at-bats as possible."
Blanks had earned regular playing time in the outfield and at first base prior to the injury, hitting eight home runs with 34 RBIs in 67 games.
Tim Powers is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.