Indians Press Release
Cleveland Indians announce full slate of 2013 Opening Day festivities
Pregame, in-game ceremonies will follow 'Traditions' theme, trace history of Indians ballparks, uniforms, broadcasters and more
Cleveland, OH-Committed to providing fans the best fan experience possible at Progressive Field, the Cleveland Indians have a full schedule of pregame festivities planned for their Home Opener, April 8 at 4:05 p.m.
The game, the Tribe's 20th Home Opener at Progressive Field, marks the 113th as a charter member of the American League, and the 21st consecutive Home Opener sellout dating back to the team's final year at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. This year's game, sold out in 6 minutes on Feb. 25.
This year's Opening Day will feature a "Traditions" theme, with videos and presentations that will honor the team's rich history. The first of 17 scheduled Rally Alleys presented by RTA in 2013 will get things started at 1:30 p.m., featuring a festival atmosphere with live music, various other performers, and discounted food and beverage options.
Progressive Field gates will open at 2 p.m., and the Indians encourage fans to be in their seats by 3:25 p.m. to enjoy a bevy of pregame ceremonies the team has planned. They include videos tracing the history of the ballparks at which the Indians have played, team broadcasters, uniforms, and fathers and sons who have played the game. The fathers of Indians players Nick Swisher (Steve), Michael Brantley (Mickey), Zach McAllister (Steve), along with bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. (Sandy Sr.) and manager Terry Francona (Tito), will throw ceremonial first pitches to their sons.
The team also will honor all branches of the United States military, as members of the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard will present the colors, while an oversized American flag will be presented by 200 employees of Progressive Insurance, the Presenting Partner of the Opening Series.
The GeezeCats then will perform the Star Spangled Banner for the 28th consecutive season at Progressive Field.
Opening Day Event Timeline
1:30 PM-4PM: Fans can enjoy Rally Alley presented by RTA on Larry Doby Way, directly behind the Time Warner Cable Bleachers
Beginning at 3:25 PM:
- Pregame ceremonies begin with a video welcoming fans to Progressive Field
- History of Progressive Field video
- Game preview and pitching matchups, followed by team introductions
- History of Indians Broadcasters video
- History of uniforms worn by Indians organization
- Colors presented by United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard
- Star Spangled Banner performed by The GeezeCats
- Fathers and Sons Traditions video
- Simultaneous first pitches thrown by father-son duos Steve/Nick Swisher, Mickey/Michael Brantley, Steve/Zach McAllister, Sandy Alomar Sr./Sandy Alomar Jr. and Tito/Terry Francona
4:05 PM: Official game time
In-game Traditions recognition:
- John Adams' 40th year as Indians unofficial drummer
- Carlos Baerga recognition; Baerga will be inducted into Indians Hall of Fame June 22