Twins Press Release
Minnesota Twins Announce Plans for 2012 Target Field Home Opener
Twins to play 2012 Home Opener at Target Field against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Twins today announced plans for the 2012 Home Opener at Target Field when they host the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Monday, April 9 at 3:10 p.m. All fans in attendance will receive a Twins magnet schedule courtesy of Our Family Brands. The Twins also plan several special events prior to the start of the game with gates opening at 1:00 p.m. - two hours before first pitch - to allow fans to get to the ballpark in plenty of time to enjoy the pregame festivities.
Monday, April 9 - Twins vs. Angels
- Noon to 12:30 p.m. - The Twins and the Minneapolis Downtown Council will host a rally at the IDS Crystal Court followed by a processional to Target Field led by Target pedi-cabs carrying members of the 2002 Twins team. Players scheduled to attend the rally include Eddie Guardado, Brad Radke, Jacque Jones, Corey Koskie, Denny Hocking and Doug Mientkiewicz.
- 1 p.m. - Gates open - legendary Twins players will ceremonially open their respective gates (Ken and Casey Killebrew representing their late father and grandfather Harmon Killebrew at Gate 3, Tony Oliva at Gate 6, Kent Hrbek at Gate 14, Rod Carew at Gate 29 and Kirby Puckett, Jr. and Catherine Puckett at Gate 34)
Other pregame events include, in this order:
- Both teams introduced along the foul lines
- Two giant flags unfurled by Twins Season Ticket Holders
- Mark Stenglein, Hennepin County Commissioner, raises the Hennepin County Flag
- Richard Hartnack, Vice Chairman of U.S. Bank, former Marine Captain and incoming Twins Community Fund board member, raises the American Flag
- The National Anthem performed by the world champion Minnesota Brass Drum & Bugle Corps
- Military flyover featuring a B-52H Stratofortress from the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota with fireworks to follow
- Legendary Twins Manager Tom Kelly raises the Twins Territory Flag
- A pre-game video celebrating the 2002 AL Central Division Championship season of Twins baseball
- Ceremonial first pitches thrown by members of the 2002 AL Central Division Champion Minnesota Twins
- Twins take the field
- Play Ball!
New for the 2012 season, Target's Race to Target Field has evolved by bringing the current cast of characters to life in an on-field mascot race, which will take place every game in between the 4th and 5th innings. Throughout the season, Louie (the kooky loon), Wanda (the flirty fish), Skeeta (the mischievous mosquito), Babe (the schmoozing ox) and Bullseye (man's best friend) will take the field with unexpected twists that keep the race engaging and fun, game-after-game. Each character will be assigned to represent a large section of Target Field with a row of seats randomly selected within the winning mascot's section to receive a prize.
"Take Me out to the Ballgame" in the 7th inning will be performed by members of the 2002 AL Central Division Champion Minnesota Twins.
Single-Game Tickets Still Available
Season, group and single-game tickets for the 2012 season at Target Field are now available at www.twinsbaseball.com by calling 612-33-TWINS (612-338-9467) or 800-33-TWINS (800-338-9467), or in-person at the Target Field Ticket Office and at Twins Pro Shops located in Apple Valley, Roseville and Minnetonka.