MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins announced on Monday that they will recall outfielder Joe Benson and first baseman Chris Parmelee from Double-A New Britain and infielder Matt Tolbert from Triple-A Rochester prior to Tuesday night's game against the White Sox at Target Field.

All three players are currently on the 40-man roster, meaning the club will not need to make any corresponding roster moves. In addition, the Twins will add Class A Beloit manager Nelson Prada as an extra coach, and he'll wear uniform No. 65.

Benson, 23, hit .285/.389/.499 (batting average/on-base/slugging) with 28 doubles, four triples, 16 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 67 RBIs in 111 games with the Rock Cats this season.

Benson, drafted by the Twins in the second round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, was the club's Minor League Player of the Year in 2010, leading the organization with 27 home runs. Benson, ranked as the club's No. 5 prospect according to MLB.com, will wear uniform No. 63.

Parmelee, meanwhile, hit .287/.366/.435 with 29 doubles, five triples, 13 home runs and 83 RBIs in 142 games with the Rock Cats this year while seeing time at first base and right field.

The 23-year-old, who will wear No. 64, was selected by the Twins in the first round of the '06 Draft.

Tolbert, 29, was optioned to Rochester on Aug. 18 to make room for catcher Rene Rivera on the roster. Tolbert hit .202/.250/.271 with 11 RBIs and two stolen bases in 74 games with the Twins before being optioned.

Hendriks thrilled for big league debut Tuesday

MINNEAPOLIS -- Right-hander Liam Hendriks expressed plenty of excitement about making his Major League debut against the White Sox on Tuesday.

Hendriks, who still isn't officially on the 40-man roster until the club makes a corresponding move, arrived at Target Field prior to Monday's doubleheader. He said he'd never been in the Twins' clubhouse before and was looking forward to his start against the White Sox.

"It's amazing," Hendriks said. "Finding out a couple days ago was awesome. I was just packing my stuff on the bus for a seven-hour ride back to Rochester, [N.Y.], but I was told to pull my stuff off, which was kinda nice. I found out I was coming up so it was exciting."

Hendriks, 22, is coming off an impressive season split between Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester. Hendriks, ranked as the club's No. 6 prospect according to MLB.com, combined to go 12-6 with a 3.36 ERA in 25 games.

The Perth, Australia, native fared better with New Britain with a 2.70 ERA, compared to a 4.56 ERA with Rochester, but he posted a 1.56 ERA over his last four outings in Triple-A.

"I'm pretty satisfied," Hendriks said. "There are a couple outings I'd like to have back, but that's how it goes. I've thrown well overall, and that was my goal this year. So hopefully, it'll continue up here."

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire praised Hendriks for his impressive performance in the Minors this year, but added it's hard to predict how he'll do in his debut.

"Hopefully, he won't be overwhelmed," Gardenhire said. "There's no way of telling until you go out there and throw the ball. He's a guy who locates. His fastball is somewhere around 88-89 mph consistently, so if he tries to throw it 91-92, then he'll be in trouble. So he needs to stay with what got him here."

Dinkelman, Waldrop arrive to help out Twins

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins received some reinforcements for Monday's doubleheader against the White Sox, as second baseman/outfielder Brian Dinkelman and right-handed reliever Kyle Waldrop both arrived from Triple-A Rochester.

Dinkelman, who hit .286 in six games with the Twins earlier this year before being outrighted on June 17, was thrown right into the fire, starting at second base and batting seventh in Game 1.

"It's exciting to be back," said Dinkelman, 27, who batted .243 with Rochester. "I didn't know if it would happen or not. I didn't know because I wasn't on the roster or whatever. But I couldn't worry about that. I got the news Saturday night and was a little surprised, but I'm happy to be back."

Waldrop, meanwhile, was called up for the first time in his career after posting a 3.87 ERA in 56 appearances with Rochester this year.

"It's kinda hard to put into words to be honest," Waldrop said. "A lot of emotions. I'm just super excited to be here. The last couple days have been kind of a whirlwind going from thinking my season was going to be over in Rochester and preparing for the offseason to now coming here. So it's kinda crazy, but it's all I imagined it to be."

Waldrop, 25, is expected to bring depth to a depleted bullpen, as he can pitch multiple innings as evidenced by the 87 2/3 innings he pitched last year and 79 innings this year.

"He's a big kid with an angle," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's not an overpowering pitcher but he has a heavy sinker and a breaking ball. We've liked him for the last couple years."

Span back working out with Twins

MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins center fielder Denard Span was happy to be back around the Twins' clubhouse with his teammates on Monday after spending the last week resting at home in Tampa, Fla.

Span, on the disabled list retroactive to Aug. 15 with migraines stemming from a concussion suffered on June 3, began working out at the ballpark on Saturday, but Monday was his first day back with the club, as the Twins were in Anaheim over the weekend.

He said the week at home was much needed and that he plans on working out with the team moving forward, with the hope of playing again this season.

"I do truly believe that I will be back on the field," Span said. "When? I don't know. But I will be back out there. If things go good, I would like to go into the offseason having played in some games here. I'd rather do that than go into the offseason not playing at all."

Span said it's been rough on him since suffering the concussion because he wants to play, but the symptoms have affected his energy level and concentration. He's talked with first baseman Justin Morneau about the injury, as Morneau missed the second half of last year with a concussion and is currently out again with concussion symptoms after diving for a ground ball on Aug. 28.

"It's not a normal injury," Span said. "Sometimes you start wondering if people believe what you're telling them about how you feel. So mentally, it's little things like that. You know how this game is and all masculine sports -- everybody feels that if you're not bleeding, you should go out there and play. And I tried doing that, so it's not like I didn't try. So that's been tough for me."

Morneau, meanwhile, also hopes to play again this year, and when he does, he'll serve only as the designated hitter, according to Twins manager Ron Gardenhire.

"He said he's doing better but isn't ready to play baseball," Gardenhire said. "But when he does, he'll come back, and we're pretty much going to DH [him] for the rest of the season. We don't want to play him in the field to keep him from diving around and not banging himself up."

Blackburn frustrated his season is over

MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins right-hander Nick Blackburn admitted he's frustrated with his forearm injury that caused him to be placed on the 60-day disabled list on Sunday.

Blackburn, who was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list on Aug. 22, planned on pitching again this year, but an entrapped nerve in his forearm has caused inflammation that hasn't subsided yet.

"We're just not able to get any of the inflammation out of it right now," said Blackburn, who has yet to throw since sustaining the injury. "So they know what the problem is, but we're just trying to find a good route to get rid of it. It's leaving, but it's taking its time getting out of there."

Blackburn said he'd still like to throw a few bullpens before the seasons ends, but added it's tough knowing his season is over.

"I obviously want to make as many starts as I can in the season," Blackburn said. "So what's more disappointing than anything is to know that I missed the last month of the season. But I guess it is what it is, because I couldn't avoid what happened. So it's tough luck that it's a nerve that won't go away."

Left-handers Francisco Liriano (shoulder strain) and Glen Perkins (sore forearm) also played catch prior to Game 1 of Monday's doubleheader against the White Sox. Liriano, on the disabled list since Aug. 26, still hopes to throw again this year, while Perkins has only been held out the last few days as a precaution.